MyMenu1

Monday, September 16, 2013

What to Watch

I spend a great deal of time watching television. Or at least that is what my wife tells me. I actually do not watch as much as I would like to. Really. That is the truth.

So why does she think I watch so much of it? Probably because I see more shows than she does. Because I know more about what is going on in a particular show, it makes her think that I have seen every possible episode of the show leading up to that point. It is a fair observation really. Just not always the truth.

Discovering Some New Shows

It is like I tell my son when he asks if I have tried a new video game (which I used to fill most of my free time with). "I just do not have as much free time as I would like, so the time that I do have I must use as effectively as possible."

That means that if I have say, only one hour with which to watch television on a particular day, I must make sure that whatever I watch in that hour is enjoyable. I cannot let it go to waste. That being said, lately I have not had much free time. So I have to choose what to watch carefully. Now after some careful consideration and with a history of not steering me wrong before, I have been watching a couple #BBC America over the last few weeks.

Now I am not sure how big of a following they have over here or even how big these shows are on the other side of the pond. But for me, the shows that I have been watching have been great and I cannot wait until more free time presents itself because I know what I will be doing with it.

I have yet to do any research on any of the following shows that I am about to discuss. Usually that is one of the first things that I do, even when I am going to write about something that I know inside and out. I just like to always be prepared. But in this case, for some reason, I just wanted to talk about them. I think my favorites right now are #Luther and #Broadchurch.

Both shows are heavy dramas and both of them are acted so well that it is amazing to me some of these people have not hit it bigger. Or maybe I am just not paying enough attention - which is entirely possible. I first started to see promos for #Luther while watching #Broadchurch. They were enticing and they would show just enough of the show to catch my attention and make me want to see more. So one day I finally caught up with Broadchurch and there were no more new episodes, so I went for Luther.

Here is the thing about the show. It is not a regular series in the fact that they do not air ten to 15 episodes per season. The first season only had six episodes and the second only four. So this is more akin to a mini-series but one that comes back every year. When I hear the term "mini-series" I think of something that airs for two to three episode only once. There is nothing mini about this show.

The writing is simply spectacular and the acting brings it to life beautifully. On top of that, and I do not say this often about a television show, but the music actually helps to bring the show up or down. There was an episode I watched the other day (which one does not matter as they are all worthy of praise) and by the end of the show I was actually sitting there, mouth agape, then the music to end the episode came on and I was riveted. I just sat there listening to the music contemplating what I had just seen. It has been a very long while since I was put in such a mood by a television show.

Of course there are a lot of shows that try to work various angles and all the different ways to tell a story. The characters within a story are very important and in a T.V. series even more so I think. The writer has an opportunity to build on a character through different episodes and work them into the plot in various ways. Sometimes, well most times actually, with the standard show there are limitations to how well or how deep one can develop a character. This is mostly the case because the writers try to squeeze it all in to one episode. Especially in the modern crime drama. There is a sense that the bad guy must be caught in the same episode they are introduced in.

Why is that? Why do they feel as if the criminal must be dealt with right away? I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it, and I am also not sure if that whole philosophy is just different in the U.K. or not. What I do know is that in #Luther they do not feel the need to complete an investigation, catch the bad guy, or put the story to rest in a single episode. The show has benefited from this because there is no overwhelming feeling that all the world's troubles must be resolved every week.

I like that about the show. There is no anxiety as the hour draws to a close that they must catch the guy who is out there. This allows the writers to draw in more angles to the story. To develop more character arcs and ultimately round out the show to a point were it more realistically reflects the world that we live in. I think that a show such as this with all it's great acting, wonderful writing, and stellar editing, music, and filming will take home a lot of awards and hopefully remain on the air for some time. I for one would miss it sorely should it complete this season and be done for good. There is no show in America that even comes close.

Cannot Forget about Broadchurch


With all of this talk about Luther, I almost neglected to talk about my other favorite #BBC America show, #Broadchurch. As far as dramas go this one is top notch. While I do not see this one going anywhere once they find Danny's killer, it has surely been very enjoyable getting there.

When I first decided to watch this one I had absolutely no idea what it was about. I mean, I had seen a promo for it and knew that it was a crime drama of sorts but I had no clue about the specifics. After watching it for about the first twenty minutes however I was hooked and I think it was at that point that I had made a decision to stick with it until the end. The one thing that catches my attention about the #BBC shows is the fact that I do not know any of the actors. This gives every show that I watch on this channel a bit more realism to me. Since I do not recognize the faces there is not that much of a stretch in the imagination department in order for me to get into the story.

The acting in this one is just about as good as in #Luther but then again they are different shows even though they both share the crime drama genre. That being said I think that cast of Luther does a bit of a better job in this department. Don't let that take anything away from the cast of Broadchurch however. They are great and the show itself is wonderful as well. The one difference in these two shows is the overall feeling of finality.

Broadchurch will eventually come to an end, and I fear that it is nearing. Again, I have done no research for this article like I normally would have but I do not think the show will continue once the killer is found. Sure, the talented writing staff they have could surely come up with a way to continue the story of a community ripped apart by the murder of a young boy. But I don't think it would play well, especially once the main theme of the story ends. So with that in mind every episode that I watch has an eery feeling about it because I know that it is one step closer to ending. Every time a big clue is found or the coppers fall into a big lead that pans out I get a little worried.

Next on the Agenda

Moving forward I'm not too sure what I will find next to watch in what little free time I do have. I know I have to get back on track with my updates and posts here - not to mention my other work and website (www.lookingforearth.com). No matter what happens though I know for a fact that I will always check the BBC show listing from now on. In the past I would glance at it here and there but would never pay much attention to anything on it. That will never happen again as I will always give #BBC the time it deserves.

There are quite a lot of good shows on the various networks today. Then  there are those who's time have passed or those that did not get a fair shake. Shows like #TheAmericans fore example. I really liked it but it seems as if it will not be returning. Then again, like I said, no research prior to this post. I have to make sure that this is the only time I do that. If nothing else I just tire of stating that fact.

In addition - the Fall shows are returning and more are on their way. September in America always brings with it many new shows as well as the triumphant return of some old ones.#SonsofAnarchy comes to mind as one such show. What all this tell me is that I need to find a way to get some more free time! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.