MyMenu1

Friday, July 19, 2013

Bringing Hope To A Freelance Writer

In my travels I have come across a variety of websites, businesses, and some really "cooky" schemes. Occasionally there are some things that grab my attention or better yet, that interest me deeply. I have recently found one such site, or business. Even though it has been around for a while, it is new to me. The site I am referring to is FIVERR.COM

The $5 Deals Abound!

The premise behind the company and the website is ingenious. Offer up a task or job that you will do for someone else for the measly sum of $5. People will purchase the jobs or Gigs as their called on the site, because they might need or want what is being offered and for $5 you can't go wrong. There are a variety of fun and bizarre things that are offered as well as the more practical and normal things as well. For example, you can have someone rap a birthday tune for you or a loved one or on the normal side you can have someone proof read your resume.

There are a ton of ways to make money on the Internet these days, but this is surely one that will be around for a while. Founded in 2009 by Micha Kaufman and Shai Wininger the site now hosts over about 1.3 millions gigs and according to Wikipedia is ranked among the top 200 sites in the world! I know Wiki is not a recognized source when looking to research something but that is a stat that is easily verifiable. FIVERR is doing some good business and is adapting to meet demands just like any other company would.

This year they offered Levels. A sort of reputation ranking system, Levels gives the users the ability to to reap the rewards of doing business the right way and not taking advantage of your customers. You do right by them, they will do right by you. You get votes based on your gigs popularity as well as how well you deliver on your promises. Just like any other service/customer relationship you must make good on what you are selling for the $5 you are being paid or you will not earn that stellar reputation that will undoubtedly drive more business to your door. It is a simple formula but one that works well.

The Freelance Angle.

So why am I talking about this website again? This is not a review, although I have reviewed websites before and I would not be against reviewing this one. In addition, the title of this article has nothing to do with a review or anything else like that. No, the reason that I am talking about Fiverr.com is because websites like Fiverr attract  Freelancers.

If you are a Freelancer in any industry or field you know that it can be hard to find work. When you do find it, sometimes it seems to come and go in spurts. Of course that does not make it easy to plan for the future. What I have found, and I'm positive others have as well, is that spreading out my income potential makes for the best odds at making money.

What I mean by this is I give myself a wide berth. I have working and active accounts at a variety of writing sites and content provider sites. I also have accounts on various other types of sites in an effort to give myself the best chance at making money. One of those is Fiverr. As a Freelance writer it can be difficult to find steady work. As I mentioned in an article I posted a week or so ago I had a steady stream of work on this one site I worked with but then the contract they had ran out. As the contract ended, so did my steady stream of work.

I was left with nothing. But, thankfully I had various other accounts on different websites that offered work. So even though my "steady" job was gone for the time being, I still had work. It was hard at first because I had gotten used to my routine, but it is just a matter of time before I get used to my new routine. This new one includes Fiverr. Being able to offer different types of jobs to a new audience of potential clients is like a breath of fresh air.

Looking Ahead.

I never try to put too many eggs into one basket. Recently however I have run into a rough patch and my finances have taken a turn for the worse. Needless to say, during times like these we take any job we can get. There are certain writing jobs that I have had the opportunity to stay away from in the recent past. Things like phony product reviews and keyword heavy content farms. The type of work that I felt was a bit beneath me. Arrogant or not I was able to make money and avoid doing that type of work. But, as I said, when money is scarce, you take what you can get.

So now that I write anything that I can get paid for I come to find Fiverr. See, thing is, a website like Fiverr gives a person in my position one thing. That one thing is hope. I was down in the dumps because I was doing work that I didn't want to do. But when I started creating some gigs for the Fiverr community to buy I found that I had once again found that hope that I was missing. The type of hope that give you motivation and drive.  The kind that keeps you going.

So now I am still doing whatever work comes my way, and I am still scouring Elance and Guru and DonNanza looking for work writing. BUt the difference this time is that I am also selling items and writing work through Fiverr and I really have hope that it can help pull me out of the crapper. One $5 sale at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.