MyMenu1

Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Fourth of July

That had to come first. Before all other ramblings. I have always been a very patriotic person. Ever since I was little I was always in awe of this huge thing called America. I never knew what it was really at that time. All I knew was that everyone talked about it and everybody loved it, so I did too. As I got older and I slowly realized what countries were and where I lived I came to find that I loved it too. 
There are people everywhere who hate America. I think in some ways their hate comes from jealousy. The envy that builds from living in an impoverished third world country that has almost nothing for it's people. Then, from afar they see this country that seems to them to offer everything. While this feeling of wonder grows it is quickly stamped out by those around them who know of a different America. These are the people who preach hate and destruction as a means to attain their end goal.  These ideas are forced on the young who were just feeling like America could be an escape. America could be the paradise everyone speaks of. But no. These others have already got their hooks in and are showing a tainted image of America. An image that they are slowly teaching the young to hate.

So as they once longed for a peaceful life in another land they are now in a place that puts that dream out of reach. So the jealousy builds as well. Jealousy of those who can attain that life they so dreamed of in America. Because of this envy everyone shall pay. Everyone shall be made to feel the pain and the hurt that they feel. All because of a few radicals who got their skewed teachings into the heads of youngsters at an impressionable time in their lives.

Well.. just a theory. Anyway.. we should not have to worry about things like that today, though it is good to be reminded from time to time. Today however is a time of celebration. When I was young and finally realizing what America was, I was introduced to the fireworks that we all love. As a kid growing up in Chicago however it was more about getting fireworks and gathering with friends. Then it was all out war! Those days were fun and exciting. You sort of lose track of the real reason for celebration during those years. It comes back though, and as I got older it really sinks in why we celebrate the way that we do on this day of the year.

"You just wait until you have kids!"

How many times have we all heard that from our parents. I cannot count all the times that my son or daughter did something that I did when I was younger, and all I heard in my head was my father. "You just wait. When you have kids, and they do this, then you will finally understand." It was always I would understand or I would  get my payback. Either way, he was right and that kills me. Having kids was the greatest achievement that I have made. Then again, they are also what makes life so hard most times.

My son, 13, has had a yearning to blow off fireworks from my "secret stash" for the last year or so. Of course it is my fault for showing him the stuff but what else is a father good for if not corruption. Problem is the worry that I feel when he goes into the backyard to launch off a few simple bottle rockets. I get nervous for him, for my neighbors, my dog (who hates fireworks and thunder), and my wife who freaks out at almost every little thing. But all that worry falls on my shoulders. All because of four bottle rockets. Sad is it not?

Some of this  does have a direct correlation with the fourth of July. I don't have to worry about my neighbors when my son goes crazy in the backyard because they all left town. More than that however, I feel a need to bring the same joy  that I feel for today to my children. Sometimes this is easier said than done. Our kids all have their own agenda as the grow older. I found this out a couple years ago when I was trying to show my daughter something and she could care less. So I ran into a wall when I thought about how to do that for this special day.

 The Holiday.

Slowly it became an exercise in patience. Everybody wanting to do something else. A friend is having a barbecue, "and they have a pool!" Or we could go to the fireworks, if you like crowds. We could have a family barbecue too. All of these options seem to come from everywhere. Over the years we have done each of them at least once. They were all fun, and they all had their good points. But did any of them support what the real celebration should be? Does it matter anymore?

See, the Fourth of July, Christmas, matter of fact any holiday that we celebrate with family is just that. A celebration with family. As my family seem to get smaller as opposed to grow, it became more and more evident to me that celebrating these days with family close by is what was important. Maybe it is because as I get older I start to realize what is truly important. Or maybe I just want to enjoy what is left of my family. Who knows. All I know is that when I am doing any of the above with the ones I love it makes any of those options possible. When I get past all the screaming, the whining, and the fighting of siblings, you can find what it is that you are looking for.

The Love of your family.

So get out and celebrate the day with your family and friends. The people that you are closest with. Enjoy the festivities. The food, the fireworks, all of it. Think about why we celebrate today and what those who came before us had to sacrifice for us to be able to even do this. But do it with your family, because above all else they are the ones you are making memories for and with.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.