MyMenu1

Monday, August 12, 2013

Computer Purchase Consultation - Let's Save Some Money!

This is a post more for those local to me. This is also a bit of an advertisement for services provided by my company, Diverse By Design.

Computer Purchase Consultation

Before you say to yourself, "Why would I need something like that? Do I really need someone advising me on the purchase of a new computer?" consider the following. 

Most people who walk into Best Buy to purchase a new computer will walk out having spent anywhere from $500 to $2,300 for their new system. You might feel like you are happy with what you bought and you might try to justify the cost to yourself by saying that it was necessary to spend that much if you wanted a computer to fit your needs. However, the truth of the matter is that if you spent that much, then you have over-spent. If you spent that much then most likely 40% of that cost is for the brand alone. And finally, if you spend that much on a new computer from Best Buy you probably also got suckered into paying for their "extended warranty plan" or their "service plan" that includes the services of Geek Squad. Don't even get me started on the waste of skin that those fools are. 

Over the last few years computer manufacturers have made some changes industry wide in how things are done. New companies have come on board to provide various parts and equipment. New companies have also sprung up selling complete computer packages at economy prices too. Overall the computer industry that consumers are exposed to is vastly different than it was about 5-10 years ago.

In my experience the people who shop at Best Buy (in general) for a computer fit into one of the following scenarios:
  • Parents buying a computer for their son or daughter.
  • People buying their first computer.
  • Senior citizens purchasing their first computer.
  • Young couple buying a computer for their home/apartment (just moved in).
  • Finally, just the average guy or gal who needs one - they just know almost nothing about computers.
Do you see the pattern that has emerged? Generally these people who purchase from Best Buy have one thing in common. They do not know hardly anything about what they are buying... computers.

This is where I come in, or rather Diverse By Design does. Like I said, people who know about computers, about what they are buying, do not shop at Best Buy. Why? Because for one the staff at Best Buy are trained to try and oversell you. Two, the staff at Best Buy do not have the proper amount of knowledge. Ask them a question that they cannot answer and they will lie instead of finding the answer. It is easier to  sell someone on the computer they are staring at if you just sit there and say, "yea.. it will do that. Sure it will do that too." They will say things like this even though they have no clue if it is true or not.

When you work with Diverse By Design you get full professional service. You have a question? I will answer it with the truth and with facts. If for some reason I do not know the answer, I will tell you that I do not know the answer. BUT! I will then go and find the answer for you. I have been doing research all my life. So if I do not know the answer, I promise you I can find it.

As mentioned above, you will receive proper and professional service when working with me. You will get the benefit of my knowledge, my experience, as well as some of my connections and ability to work a deal. When people purchase a computer it should be treated as a big deal. It is for this reason that a process has been developed by myself for helping people who are purchasing a computer with our help. Just because I know what I am talking about, does not mean that you do. So I have to make it easy for people to understand exactly what is happening when going through the technical options. It is always best for the customer/client to know what they are buying. Not just to know that they have "a good one."


The Computer Purchase Consultation Process

Purchasing a computer is more and more becoming a big family purchase. This is especially true when it fits one of the situations I mentioned above. It is for those reasons (and more) that it makes sense to involve someone who knows what is going on. Especially when you are not so sure yourself. But, you of course have to be able to trust that person. The trust is a difficult thing to build when there is no previous relationship. This is why I try to include references or previous customer testimonials in various places on my ads or website. Sometimes there is no better way to build that trust than to show that others have already taken that leap of faith and found out that I am trustworthy and that I am true to my word.

That being said, let me fill you in a little bit on the process and how involving someone like me in the purchase of a computer can work. Communication is the biggest tool in all of business and it is often times the biggest tool that is used the least. I am big on communication and that is why I have been told that I sometimes overuse email. While this might be the case, the way I look at it is that we have a communication tool like email that allows people to communicate various messages of equally varying importance. But, no matter how menial or important a message might be the fact is that it gets through to the intended recipient. At least the point gets across.

To that end I will often tell my clients that anytime they have a question, no matter how small, do not hesitate to email me about it. I will always respond within 12 hours (usually way sooner). There are no stupid questions and unless you ask it, I cannot help. When was the last time a place like Geek Squad or a similar outfit has told a customer to email them anytime for free tech support? They would not, have not, and do not. Nothing they do is free. I give all my clients free email tech support. If I cannot solve your problem via email, then we can take it to the next level.

OK, on to the actual process. The first thing is to send me an email with your plans. Just, in a very relaxed manner, explain to me what you are trying to accomplish. What are you looking to get in a computer and where (if anywhere) have you looked already)? Once I get this email, and the conversation has started, I will send you a form to complete with some more specific questions that help me to determine what you are looking for exactly.

After this form is sent back and I have time to review it I will then send you one final email detailing my suggestions, what I think you are looking for and asking for you to confirm my thoughts. This email will also contain information on the next steps. Confirmation of my fee for the consultation as well as an attempt to coordinate a time for us to go wherever we will be going for the purchase attempt. I will accompany you to the store to help speak with the staff, negotiate a deal (you would be surprised how many times you can haggle/negotiate a price these days - and I am good at it). This way any final questions you have or if you change your mind regarding certain features or devices, I will be there to help. After all, that is what a consult should consist of. I will be with you every step of the way.


The Final Steps

After this trip to the store, and after your purchase is made, our consultation agreement is coming to an end. Even so, you are now my customer and you are welcome (as are all my clients) to free email tech support anytime from this point forward. Once getting the system home if you need further assistance with setup, networking configuration, or anything else, those services are also available of course. It all depends on you and how much help you need from me. But the one thing I can tell you is that you will be happy with your purchase and because I was there to help throughout the process you will have a system that you can be happy about. You will have spent less money than you would have otherwise and the computer will fit all of your needs perfectly. THAT is the main benefit to using someone like me for this process.

I know doing something like this, using someone else to help you make a purchase, is not exactly what you might be used to. But you have to consider the fact that these days we all have to do things a little bit differently in order to save money. This is a service that can definitely do that for you. Sure, I charge for this service, but even so, when you are done and you go home to unpack your system, you will have spent hundreds less than you would have without the help. My goal is to help you learn more about your computer and be able to use the technology that you have. This is the first step to that process, and one that you will enjoy. When is the last time you can say that you actually enjoyed spending money?



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.