MyMenu1

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Adapt

        
            There are time when I write something that before I put down any words at all, I put in a great deal of research. Any writer who wishes their work to be taken seriously must be able to back up something that they claim is a fact. There are also times when I write that I start writing purely out of experience, memory, and wit. These works are often emotional, opinionated and therefore subjective. Then of course there are the pieces that I write that are a combination of the two. I might write most of the piece, then come back for some research into various topics, and then comes the re-write, re-draft, and finished product.

I have spent many years as a father and a husband. I have spent a couple years as a so-called stay at home dad. Putting my experiences from the working world into this world rarely works as I would have expected. I cannot for example, manage my 3 children as I would a warehouse of workers tasked with filling orders, unloading trucks, and handling the inventory. What does sometimes work are the ways in which I might handle individuals in a work environment. Such as reprimanding an employee for showing up to work late. I can use some of the same tactics in that discussion as I would in talking to my son about the responsibilities of being punctual in the real world.

So what does all of this have to do with my writing style? There are methods and routines to doing things in this world and in many ways, even though there may be some hard and fast standard rules or ways to do things, you still must make those rules and methods work for you. You must adapt what you can to making things work for you and making things as productive and efficient as possible. My methods for writing might not be the classic or standard methods taught in school but it works for me. The same goes for how I handle things at home. I have adjusted and adapted various things that might not be the standard way for doing something, but it works for me and for those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.