MyMenu1

Friday, March 29, 2013

Gun Control

Throughout my life I have always had an opinion about things. We all do of course. However, there are times that I am a bit more apt to share that opinion with others. In some ways that is the intent of this blog, to share my opinion. So here is an opinion and one that is shall we say a hot button topic. Gun Control.

I know, I know. The shootings at the elementary schools are horrible. I feel a deep sense of hurt thinking about the young children who's lives have been cut extremely short by some lunatic with a weapon. It is not just the children who suffer obviously but the parents, grandparents, friends, relatives, and anybody associated with those who have been hurt or even killed. The children, the teachers, the adults, everyone. The entire country was shaken up because of the actions of one sick individual.

We are all aware of what happened in Connecticut, in Arizona, in Colorado, anywhere in which a mass shooting had occurred. It touches and it hurts us all. Even if we try to act numb to the issue we still can feel the pain. So this brings me to the point in which I have to ask a simple question. Are we reacting to our emotions and anger when we try to change laws controlling the ownership of firearms? In many ways I would have to say that we are. Our government and those of us who are pushing the government are in many ways acting based on our emotional hurt and pain. This is the wrong way to legislate. They... we need to be able to separate ourselves from the emotions in order to make, change, or adjust laws. Any laws.  

Sure, there are a great many different circumstances that must be addressed when discussing gun ownership. The type of gun, the type of ammunition it uses, who can own one, how they go about getting one, etc.. All of these factors and more must be addressed and must be included in the discussion. If they (the lawmakers) can do this than maybe, just maybe we can get some gun laws that make sense and that we can all agree on.

I know.. this post almost goes nowhere and does not make much of a point. But that was not my intent. My intent was just to put my opinion out there right now. While it was on my mind. After all.. isn't that the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.