MyMenu1

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Did I Misunderstand the Dog Whisperer?

I have always tried my best to be an honest person. As a person who would give credit where credit is due, and someone who would admit to being wrong. Well, I have to admit that I have been wrong. Even though what I am about to explain might not be a big deal to most, it is still something that I have to at least get out there and say.

For the longest time I have considered the Dog Whisperer a fake. Not only that, but I have also called him a jerk as well as some other "choice" words. The reason for this was always because whenever I watched his show (which was not all that often because of how I felt) I thought he was being mean to the dogs that he was training or working with. I saw his little "jabs" to the dog's neck or side as abusive. I thought that he was just beating  the dog into submission. Of course I know he was not literally "beating" dogs, so don't freak out and think I am being too harsh.

I watched the last half of a show last night in which he explained his actions as he was doing it and I finally understood what he was doing and why. He description, and mind you that my explanation of his words will probably do his no justice, but his explanation of his actions were this. He basically said that his little "jabs" essentially simulate a small nip or bite by another dog in the pack. He does this because in the dogs understanding of their world and environment they are either submissive of the one who is dominant. This is often shown by barks and short little bites or nips. So by doing that action with his hand he is doing what another dog would be doing.

Bear in mind that even with the human-dog relationship there has to be a dominant figure in order for the relationship to work and for the dog and dog owner to be happy. No one enjoys a mean or obstructive dog. Nobody wants a dog who does not listen and does nothing but cause problems. So creating that dominance is what every loving dog owner needs to do. This is done so that the dog will follow instructions and commands given by the "master". If the dog does not listen it becomes outcast and a dog that the family cannot love. We all know what happens when that is the case.

So I learned something yesterday. I learned that some of the things that I was doing in the training of my dog have been wrong. Not necessarily to the point where things cannot be fixed, but just wrong in how I understood things. I knew that there needed to be that dominant/submissive relationship but I viewed much of that as being too mean. I did not realize that when done properly it makes all the difference. My dog has always listened to me.. to an extent. I was always too scared to be too harsh.

This realization does not mean to say that I will now start being more aggressive with my dog, just more understanding. I will now be more of a "rock" when it comes to that discipline. Instead of giving in so-to-speak I know now that I just need to be stern when it comes to training and teaching rules and things. I think with this new understanding it will make for a better relationship as well as a better environment for all of us.

Oh.. and Cesar Milan... I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.