MyMenu1

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Dakota

Having a pet is nothing new. Most people in the country, no the world have one of some sort. One of the interesting things about the subject is most definitely the wide range of species that people keep as a pet. This however is not about the vast diversity of animals kept in confinement. This is rather about a simple brand of pet and one that most of the people around  the globe are fairly familiar with. The dog.

Most of us have a dog growing up and if not you will not end up worse for wear. While it is certainly a privilege to have one you are not lost if you do not. I was lucky enough to have two dogs growing up. This was a joy that when I became a parent that I wanted to give to my children. Almost as much for myself as for them. As an adult I missed what having a dog brings. It wasn't until I was married more than 16 years and my oldest of three children was also 16 that we finally brought a dog into the family.

For a very small percentage of dog owners the animal is not seen as a part of the family. While that small minority does not include the dog in the family photo their are millions more that do. The dog as a pet quickly works its way into the hearts of even the strongest of wills. I was not that difficult to win over. When the dog came into the family I was ready and willing to welcome a new friend. What I did not expect was for the dog to become such a big part of my life.


There was no fight for this Boxer

We have a friend that my wife and I have known since high school. She has always been a big animal lover and recently has taken on the responsibility of trying to find homes for dogs (and cats) who have nowhere to go. It is a very admirable calling and one that she seems born to do. A couple years ago she came across a Boxer puppy that was taken from a breeding program a couple of states away that was nowhere close to being "up to code". This puppy was the runt of the litter and as such had not been sold in time for the breeder to make a profit. The dog was destined for the "long sleep".

A friend of our friend ended up taking the dog from the breeder in an effort to keep it alive. She then turned to our animal loving friend in the hopes of finding a home. She posted a fuzzy picture of Facebook at the same time that my wife and I were considering the possibility of having a dog. It was difficult to really see the dog in the picture but during an impulsive moment I told her we would take it before really discussing it with my wife. I had hoped that once she saw the dog that would be the end of the discussion.
Original FB photo of Dakota

As it turned out we had to drive four hours away to meet the rescuer of the dog halfway between their home and mine. So I told my wife I was going to pick the dog up and left before she could stop me. Although, I suspect she had already made up her mind not to. It was the last day of school for my kids and they were mostly outside with friends enjoying it. So this whole endeavor was largely a surprise to everyone except my wife and my youngest daughter.

By the time our friend and I ended up at the designated meeting spot I was fairly nervous. Then I saw the guy walking down the little hill holding a blanket in his arms with a little furry head peaking out. As soon as I got to within three feet of him and his cargo I reached out my arms and fell in love. He placed the bundle into my outstretched arms and I quickly embraced the warm blanket that held the little puppy. I looked down into the blanket and saw the cutest little dog that I have every seen. I know, all puppies are cute and I will not argue that fact. However, at that moment, looking into the eyes of this little Boxer puppy, I don't think I could have been persuaded that anything else in the world was cuter.

By the time I had arrived home with our new friend my wife had the kids waiting for the new arrival.  Of course the kids were excited and so was the puppy. The girls had decided to name the dog Dakota and no one had an argument against the name so it stuck. It did not take long for the dog to become part of the family. One thing that surely helped was the dog's breed. For people who are not familiar with the Boxer they are one of the best family dogs there are. And for a family full of people who love to cuddle, this dog was the perfect fit!
Dakota at about 5 months old.


The Breed and the Family

I'm not going to give you a history lesson on the Boxer. I don't think I would keep your attention if I did, plus Google does a fine job of giving people a place to find out about various subject better than I can. Never the less, the Boxer is a dog that has a long history of being a hunter/family dog. Back in the day when dogs were more than just a pet, Boxers were a great choice for people who had to hunt for their livelihood. Not only were they great additions to the hunting party, helping to bring down big game, but they were also great at home. Hunters would feel safe knowing that the dog that just hours ago helped to bring down an animal 5 times its size was also protecting the kids.

Boxers were and still are known for having a deep affection for the family they live with. They love to cuddle close and will protect the people in their family/pack with their life. So when the hunter would return from the hunt the dog would be happy to be home with the kids. The dog would play, cuddle, and rest with the family. But if something would threaten that  family the Boxer would go into fighter mode and keep danger far away. There are few breeds that could balance that fierce fighting spirit with love and affection and do it so well. In addition they are very agile, strong, and intelligent dogs. They almost have all of the traits that one would want in a pet and companion.

It is all of these traits that made me fall in love with the dog so quickly. Dakota rarely misses an opportunity to snuggle up close or to lay on my lap. She seeks out every opportunity to sit with one of the family and I have yet to see her want to go to a corner of the house to be alone. She does everything she can to stay by us and you can see  the love. At the same time I could see how she could be a fierce protector as well. There are times when my son and I will wrestle around (as Dad's and sons are known to do) and I'm not sure that Dakota knows we are playing. Whenever she sees my son grab or push me she will run up to him barking and push him away. Even though she seems to want to protect me, she does not try to hurt my son. She pushes with her paws and her mouth and never bites.

In the almost three years that she has been with us she has not once harmed anyone. Aside from the accidental scratches from her nails when she plays, or running into someone while rushing around she has been a great dog. There have been multiple times that she has cheered me or someone else up by simply looking at one you. I would have never guessed that a dog that could look so mean and tough would be the biggest softy. There are certain things that people expect when they get a dog. Things such as barking, making messes, or destroying household items. With Dakota we do get the occasional loaf of bread in pieces on the floor but over all she has been very clean. Was house-trained within a few days and even though she loves human food she waits patiently for it to be given to her before she would just take it.

Dakota has brought a lot of love and joy into our household. My family all pick on me for the amount of affection I show her but I cannot help myself. I look into those huge brown eyes and I fall to pieces. She stares at me and then turns her head to the side, puts one of her huge paws on my knee, then turns her head the other way and I give in. She could get almost anything that she wants from me because I just cannot tell that dog no. Every time I look at her I see that little puppy who we brought home a couple  years ago. I see that face that just says it all. I remember the times she has laid next to me, looked up into my eyes and then licks my chin. I love my dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.