MyMenu1

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hotmail Will Be Replaced By Outlook.com

Online email is big business. Well, at least it is for the big companies like Google and Microsoft. Speaking of which, Microsoft is looking to take a bite out of Google's share of the email market with the launch of Outlook.com. Microsoft has forever operated Hotmail as their free email offering and for a long time it was pretty popular. I had a Hotmail account once.. once.

Of course I dropped Hotmail a long time ago and now use Google. As a matter of fact, I use Google for most everything today. It gives me a self-perceived advantage to have all of my data on one service. Especially a service as robust as Google. Yes, I said robust - because it is. Have you taken a look at all the various things, data, and options your Google page gives you? If you have not, then you should. Back to email.

Outlook.com is hoping to take away from Google's reported 425 million users. Yahoo comes in at 293 million and Hotmail (Soon to be converted to Outlook) comes in at a measly 267 million. Well, I wouldn't call that measly, I would be happy to have that many customers for anything each paying me a penny for a service. I would be rich!

Either way we will have to wait and see how well Microsoft does with this new venture. I do not anticipate them hurting Google all that much but I do think this will be a good move for them and could revitalize their worn-down Hotmail service. So all-in-all this is a good move by Microsoft which is seen by many to be the old man standing on the popular corner with the young guys (Google, Yahoo, and Apple). Well.. actually I would equate Apple with a 30-something to Google and Yahoo's 20-something.

1 comment:

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.