MyMenu1

Friday, February 15, 2013

Stay At Home Dads

When I made a couple changes to my blog about a year ago one of the things that I added was a focus on writing about being a Stay At Home Dad. I did it for a bit but it seemed that more often than not I was just writing about other things. Regardless, I still feel that the Stay At Home Dad is a powerful thing in our society today. Especially with the way things have been changing lately, the ability for a family to adapt is important.

My wife and I did it a couple years ago when I lost my job as a painter. In a way it was just fine with me because I was tried anyway. What? Did I think I was getting a break? Yeah Right! To be honest, the world was ready to accept me, Mr. Mom... but I wasn't ready to accept me. It is hard at first for a guy to accept the fact that not only is he not out in the world working hard and getting dirty to earn a buck; but instead I am at home, washing dishes, washing clothes, making beds, dusting, and cleaning the floor. Among many, many other things.

And I have to say it again, even though I am positive it has been said multiple times already. Women deserve a huge pat on the back for all they did while we were at work! I already had a pretty good idea what housework was before all of this. My wife and I have a pretty even relationship when it comes to taking care of household duties. We share a lot. I thought at first that would prepare me for taking it all over at 100% - boy was I wrong! The best way that I can describe it in terms that most men will understand is like this.

You know when you haven't done a physical job for a while, or you work all summer and are off for the winter (you know a season gig) then come spring it's time to get back at it? So when you first start working you hit it hard and get right back into the swing of things - right where you left off. But... and yea.. here it comes.. but.. after that first week of getting back to work. After that first week of putting your body through the physical hell that it was used to before.. your body was used to it before you sat around all winter soaking up the chips and salsa. But now your back to work and you weren't ready and your body is telling you just that. So after week number one you are laying in bed on Saturday and you cannot move no matter what comes rolling through. A freaking tornado couldn't get you out of bed. That is what it feels like to take on a woman/mother's role in a household.

It has been a while since that first couple of weeks that I took over for my wife at home. Things have calmed down immensely but that does not mean that things are not difficult. Life is hard as hell. It is hard as hell and I plan on telling you all about it. Again. Yes.. I will start a new section all about the stay at home Dad. See how the roller coaster goes up and down? I move from my Diverse By Design domain back to blogger where it all started and now I am bringing back old topics and features. I might also start including some of my story writing. I am currently working on getting a short story published in a weekly magazine. I'm just about done with it too. I just might include a story section too, why not.

The stay at home Dad is not going away. The economy has forced too many changes within our society and whoever can get work needs to take it. If that means the woman becomes the main breadwinner forcing the man to stay at home to care for the kids then so be it. Today there is nothing wrong with that at all. Matter of fact there are many couples that choose this route. They do not let life force them into such a change. I will try to speak with a couple of them someday soon and see what they have to say about society and how it has affected their way of life. If at all.

There is a lot going on around the DBD blog these days. I'm most excited about the short story I have coming out soon but there is much more than just that. It is going to be a busy month here. I look forward to hearing from some of you soon as well. Tomorrow I will be replacing the DBD Computer Service Link for those who wish to utilize our services. Of course this is for the local crowd only. OK ladies and gents. Time for me to go watch a movie with the wife and kids. I will catch you all on the flipside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have decided to comment, please remain civil and respect everyone's dignity and that of this blog. Thank you.